Applications are being accepted for:
- Summer 2020. Applicants wishing to complete the Medical Education cognate should apply for summer enrollment. A complete application file must be received no later than March 15, 2020, for consideration for summer 2020 admission. All applications received after March 15, 2020, are considered for summer 2021 admission.
- Fall 2020. Applicants wishing to complete the Clinical Medicine cognates (Primary Care, Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine) should apply for fall enrollment. A complete application file must be received no later than July 15, 2020, for consideration for fall 2020 admission. All applications received after July
15, 2020, are considered for fall 2021 admission.
(Applicants seeking part-time enrollment status for the clinical cognates should apply for Summer admission.)
- A graduate of an ARC-PA accredited program or international equivalent
- Current physician assistant certification (NCCPA or other)
- Unencumbered licensure as a physician assistant in the U.S.A. or International Jurisdiction
- Earned a master’s degree from an accredited institution
- Demonstrated potential for success in an advanced rigorous doctoral level program
- No history of negative legal, administrative, or licensure action related to the practice
- Continue to practice medicine as a physician assistant, or be actively teaching in
graduate medical education while enrolled in the program.
(The program reserves the right to deny admission based on public professionalism issues.)
The DMS program uses a rolling admissions process until all seats are filled. In addition
to the total number of seats within the class. Each cognate will have a maximum capacity
per cohort. In addition to the application process outlined below, acceptance will
be dependent on the student’s ability to meet the program attendance and residency
Application file consideration based on:
- Completed DMS Application form.
- Two Application Rating Forms completed by:
Letter of recommendation from the candidate’s current supervisor
Official transcript from all degree granting institutions.
Official copy of evidence of licensure
Personal statement – of interest in and motivation for the program and personal and
Complete the Doctor of Medical Science questionnaire.
- An MD, DO, DMS, or DPM level medical practitioner
- Current supervisor
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for applicants when English is not
their first language.
Once the application and all the supporting material have been received in the LMU-SMS,
DMS admissions office, the applicant’s file will be reviewed by the admissions committee. Candidates
eligible for admissions will be invited to attend an interview. Interviews are conducted
using a virtual meeting platform; no travel required.
The admission’s process operates on a rolling acceptance policy thus it is in the
student’s best interest to apply as early as possible.
Following the interview and receipt of all necessary information, the applicant’s
file will again be reviewed by the admissions committee. Applicants will then be assigned
to one of the following categories: 1) Accept, 2) Alternate/Hold, or 3) Reject. Applicants
will be notified in writing as soon as possible following the committee’s decision.