Lincoln Memorial University is a private, independent, non-sectarian University with
a clearly defined mission that distinguishes it from other educational institutions.
While the University cherishes its heritage and rich traditions, it recognizes that
dynamic growth and change are required to meet the needs of today’s students. The
University has identified the following institutional goals, which are derived from
its mission and reflect its vision for the future:
- Make educational opportunities available to all persons without reference to social
status. The University seeks to maximize enrollment by strengthening recruitment efforts
and increasing student retention through the creation of an academic and social environment
that facilitates success and rewards achievement.
- Maintain fiscal integrity in all its activities, programs and operations through concerted
efforts to continuously increase its endowment and financial standing.
- Provide quality educational experiences that have their foundation in the liberal
arts and professional studies, promote high personal standards and produce graduates
with relevant career skills to compete in an ever-changing, increasingly global market.
- Advance the Cumberland Gap and Appalachian region through community service programs
in continuing education, healthcare, leadership development, recreation and the fine
and performing arts.
- Serve as a critical educational, cultural, and recreational center for the area, and
to develop and maintain facilities, which are safe, accessible, and conducive to the
development of body, mind and spirit.
- Attract and retain a diverse and highly qualified faculty and staff, committed to
teaching, research and service.
- Commit resources to support the teaching, research, and service role of the Institution.
- Support faculty and staff development programs with priority for allocation of resources
determined by institutional needs.
- Increase technology for all educational sites. Specifically, the University seeks
to continuously improve its computer and other technological resources for faculty,
staff and students.
- Develop and implement academic programs in response to anticipated or demonstrated
educational need, and to continuously evaluate and improve the effectiveness of current
- Provide a caring and nurturing environment where students, faculty and staff with
varied talents, experiences and aspirations come together to form a diverse community
that encourages students to grow intellectually and personally to meet their academic
and career goals.
- Provide quality educational opportunities through selected degree programs for students
who live or work a significant distance from the Lincoln Memorial University main
campus, and for whom other options are not as accessible or satisfactory.